Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Morning Breakfast

It was her own personal tradition.

My mother had a special breakfast that she enjoyed once a year.

Most years, she enjoyed it alone.

Sometimes my father or sister or I would stop by and she would offer us a bite or two.

She was happy to share her tradition.

Now, it’s a great memory.

Mom’s in her nineties and doesn’t cook much anymore, but her culinary skills of days gone by were legendary in our family and community.

On Christmas Day in the morning, while some slept late, some read the paper and others enjoyed the fruits of Santa’s labor, my mother was in the kitchen. 

She was at the stove and the aroma filled the house.

Homemade cornbread produced a unique stimulation to the olfactory nerves.

While the cornbread was still hot, she was melting cheese on a griddle.

Mom’s Christmas breakfast was melted cheese on freshly baked corn bread.

It always got Christmas off to a good start.

Image credit: Wikicommons
Maybe I’ll have some this morning.    

3 comments:

  1. I did it.
    We had cornbread yesterday with soup.
    Two pieces left over.
    I put a slice of American cheese onto each one, zapped them in the microwave and VOILA!
    What a tasty treat!
    Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you could have Christmases like this forever. I can attest to how good they were. When I was growing up, we spent most Christmas mornings in Mangham with your mother rolling out a feast. I miss them still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caleb,
      Thanks for the comment.
      Every Christmas in Mangham was memorable.
      Just spoke to Mom and she said the tradition of cheese on cornbread had started with Papa Price's family and was as certain to happen on Christmas as colored eggs on Easter.

      Delete