Friday, October 2, 2009

I'll take one of those "irregular jobs" please!

When I enrolled in pharmacy school, I had no idea I was signing up for a lifetime in sales! In 1969 the majority of pharmacists were in retail and most of them yearned for their own store. It quickly became apparent that the outgoing, friendly pharmacists who could establish trust with their customer/patients became the most successful in building a large business. It isn’t just pharmacy. Paul Witherspoon reminds us, ” I've always wanted to be a business owner. And if you are the owner of your company, you are the #1 salesperson in most cases.” People like to do business with the person whose name is on the sign out front.

Paul got his degree in business management …” but for some reason I thought I was above a sales job. Sales jobs are for the people who can't get regular jobs. Interestingly enough after six months of searching and not finding anything...guess what? I couldn't get a regular job. So, sure enough I went into sales. And now, i don't know how I could turn back.”

I’m with Paul, although my stage where I perform is inside a big box retail outlet and I manage the pharmacy. When the curtain goes up and I walk out with my white smock on, it’s SHOWTIME and I feel like a rock star! I pretend that every customer came to see me and I don’t want to let them down. This isn’t like outside sales where you have to go out and find your prospects. They come to me and often are attracted by convenience and price. Just like outside sales though, I’ve still got to get their attention, show them the benefits of doing business with me and the company I represent, enhance their desire, convince them they’re making the best choice, and then close the sale.

Paul is inspired by someone he considers to be a great salesman. “My favorite is Jesus. He had 12 disciples and somehow these 12 men had the responsiblity of telling the world that he was the son of God. What a job that was...huh? And now The Bible is the best-selling book of all time!”

So, whether you own your own business or operate one for someone else, go out there and sell something. Be honest. Show people that you have integrity and how they will benefit from your product and you’ll be successful, too.

Paul Witherspoon is an entreprenuer and minisite owner including http://www.laptopsspec.com

No comments:

Post a Comment